Soup with pesto
Ingredients for the pesto:
350 g basil
150 g grated Pecorino Romano D.O.P.
100 ml EVOO
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 plum tomato, cored, peeled and seeded
Ingredients for the soup:
50 ml EVOO
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
½ medium zucchini, chopped
¼ head Savoy cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
2 l vegetable stock
7 tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped
80 g short pasta
50 g cannellini beans
Salt and pepper
1. Soak the beans for 8 to 10 hours.
2. With a pestle and mortar, grind the basil, oil, some salt, garlic, cheese and tomato until the pistou has reached a smooth texture. Correct the seasoning and set aside.
3. Set the oven on steam at 90 °C and cook the beans in all of the vegetable stock for 45 minutes or until soft.
4. Drain, retaining both the beans and the stock.
5. Purée half the beans and set the rest aside.
6. In a Dutch oven over medium heat soften the carrots, celery and onions in EVOO and add the garlic at a later stage. Add the zucchini and cabbage and keep stirring. Deglaze with some of the retained stock and crank up the heat. Add the tomatoes and the rest of the stock and remove from the heat once the pot starts showing signs of boiling.
7. Set the oven on steam at 110 °C.
8. Add the puréed beans and the pasta to the soup and cook in your Retigo oven for about 12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
9. Add the cooked beans to the end. Correct seasoning.
10. Serve with pistou.